How Do You Keep Your Characters From Sounding Alike?

I have this problem, especially with female characters, where I think I make them all sound alike. I know you should be able to cover up the character's names and just read the dialogue and figure out who is saying what. I don't think I could do that with mine. At least not yet, but I'm working on it.

I've learned two things recently. One, if I go more than a day without writing or working on my story, I start to forget what the characters sound like. And, two, having pictures of what I think my character looks like really helps. Sometimes I use New Faces Model web site to find pictures of people, or I'll use famous people. Either way, it helps to put a face with the person I've created.

What do you do to help your characters sound unique?
Post a Comment

Monday

How Do You Keep Your Characters From Sounding Alike?

I have this problem, especially with female characters, where I think I make them all sound alike. I know you should be able to cover up the character's names and just read the dialogue and figure out who is saying what. I don't think I could do that with mine. At least not yet, but I'm working on it.

I've learned two things recently. One, if I go more than a day without writing or working on my story, I start to forget what the characters sound like. And, two, having pictures of what I think my character looks like really helps. Sometimes I use New Faces Model web site to find pictures of people, or I'll use famous people. Either way, it helps to put a face with the person I've created.

What do you do to help your characters sound unique?
Post a Comment