How Often Do You Compliment Strangers?

Everyone loves to receive compliments. You can be going about your day, maybe grocery shopping, when suddenly someone says, "Excuse me, I love your haircut!"

That would totally make my day! So why not make someone elses day?

I started thinking about this the other day when my dad and I ran into a girl that used to work for my brother. The last time I had seen her she was nine months pregnant and about to pop. The other day (her baby is well over a year now) when we ran into her, she looked fantastic. Really good. We made small talk about our kids then went our ways.

Out in the car with my dad a few minutes later we both said how great she looked. But why didn't I tell her that? I know if she had said that to me it would have made me feel great. I felt even worse because it sounded like she was having a rough time with her kids. Someone telling her how great she looked might have lifted her spirits, if even for a little while.

I'm going to try to compliment at least one person a day. It's not that hard. It might be awkward at first, but I think seeing people's reactions will be worth it. And, who knows, maybe they'll pay it forward and make someone elses day.
Post a Comment

Thursday

How Often Do You Compliment Strangers?

Everyone loves to receive compliments. You can be going about your day, maybe grocery shopping, when suddenly someone says, "Excuse me, I love your haircut!"

That would totally make my day! So why not make someone elses day?

I started thinking about this the other day when my dad and I ran into a girl that used to work for my brother. The last time I had seen her she was nine months pregnant and about to pop. The other day (her baby is well over a year now) when we ran into her, she looked fantastic. Really good. We made small talk about our kids then went our ways.

Out in the car with my dad a few minutes later we both said how great she looked. But why didn't I tell her that? I know if she had said that to me it would have made me feel great. I felt even worse because it sounded like she was having a rough time with her kids. Someone telling her how great she looked might have lifted her spirits, if even for a little while.

I'm going to try to compliment at least one person a day. It's not that hard. It might be awkward at first, but I think seeing people's reactions will be worth it. And, who knows, maybe they'll pay it forward and make someone elses day.
Post a Comment