Am I a Jerk?

The other day I was in our local grocery store, Wegmans, with my son. We got in line to pay and there were two people ahead of us paying with a food stamps card. I always feel bad for people, like they're embarrassed.

When we have foster babies we use WIC for their formula. I always feel embarrassed paying with WIC checks because I hold up the line. Plus, I feel like everyone's looking at my cart thinking, "She can afford *insert unnecessary grocery items here*, but she can't afford to feed her baby." I always have the urge to say, "I'm a foster parent. I'm not poor." But, of course, I don't.

Anyway, we waited patiently while these people tried to pay for their items. Their food stamps card only paid for a certain amount, and they needed to come up with about $5. The lady tried to pay with a credit card but it didn't go through. Then I really felt bad for her.

I was just about to tell her I'd pay for it (to save her embarrassment and help her get out of the store), when I glanced in her cart. It was filled with beer, pop and potato chips. That's it. Just that stuff.

I don't know if I was right or wrong, but I didn't say anything. Afterwards I sort of felt like a jerk, but that feeling comes and goes. She ended up paying with cash and left. 

Was I wrong?
Post a Comment

Monday

Am I a Jerk?

The other day I was in our local grocery store, Wegmans, with my son. We got in line to pay and there were two people ahead of us paying with a food stamps card. I always feel bad for people, like they're embarrassed.

When we have foster babies we use WIC for their formula. I always feel embarrassed paying with WIC checks because I hold up the line. Plus, I feel like everyone's looking at my cart thinking, "She can afford *insert unnecessary grocery items here*, but she can't afford to feed her baby." I always have the urge to say, "I'm a foster parent. I'm not poor." But, of course, I don't.

Anyway, we waited patiently while these people tried to pay for their items. Their food stamps card only paid for a certain amount, and they needed to come up with about $5. The lady tried to pay with a credit card but it didn't go through. Then I really felt bad for her.

I was just about to tell her I'd pay for it (to save her embarrassment and help her get out of the store), when I glanced in her cart. It was filled with beer, pop and potato chips. That's it. Just that stuff.

I don't know if I was right or wrong, but I didn't say anything. Afterwards I sort of felt like a jerk, but that feeling comes and goes. She ended up paying with cash and left. 

Was I wrong?
Post a Comment